Friday, February 15, 2013

Kid Stuff and Food Stuff

The little girls' garden
 Dress-up and a new floor.  We ripped out the white carpet in the dining room and replaced it with this laminate flooring. The girls helped with the demolition and tried to stay out of the way for the installation.  It was -20 so we couldn't even go outside to get out of the way.  We are planning to do the living room too but we're going to wait until the weather's a little warmer.
 Getting ready to make rainbow kabobs for Mike's mom's birthday.

 Showing off their tall tower.
 Trying to keep Julia from knocking it over.
Amanda knocked it over instead.
 More rainbow kabobs with more veggies. Half sticks are better.

 Kale and collards ready to be put in smoothies or made into chips. If you've ever made kale chips, you'll love collard chips.  We tear them into chip-size pieces, lightly coat them with coconut oil, spread them in a thin layer on a stone bar pan, sprinkle with salt and bake for twelve minutes.  They get crispy even without the oil so I'm make them oil-free for Mike. They can be baked on parchment paper on a regular cookie sheet.
I'm still make smoothies every day. Some days I can skip if I make a really big batch the day before.  The green ones have the kale, cilantro, parsley, cucumber, celery, apple, orange and grapes.  The pink ones have frozen tropical fruit mix, apples, oranges, little bit of sweet potato and a little bit of beets.  I'm not a fan of the root veggies in the smoothies. I don't like the texture. I'd rather eat the carrots and sweet potatoes raw in sticks anyways. 
I've been experimenting a lot.  Which would explain why I haven't lost any weight. ;)  Here's some oat crackers.  I'm going to try soaking the oat flour in a little bit of vinegar and water to soften up the texture. Just oats, water, and salt baked at 350 for 10 minutes or so.


" Mom can you take a picture?"
 And Julia wearing something other than p.j.'s. Everybody wants to hold her.  She doesn't really want to be held most of the time.

 She's got seven teeth.  She's still just army crawling most of the time.  She quit saying the words she was saying: mama, dada, sister.  Now she just laughs at us when we try to get her to say something.  I think she did say, "All done" at the table the other day.  Which is significantly better than yelling at me and throwing her cup.
 She has recently decided that only mom with do.  Which is unfortunate because I have decided that I'm really enjoying skiing and keep trying to figure out how to get away so I can.  Usually it means Mike listens to Julia gripe the whole time I'm gone.

No comments: