Monday, February 4, 2013

Answering Questions

Elisa had some questions after the last post about our smoothie-making so I'm going to answer them here.

"What's a frappacino jar?"


Frappacino is a blended coffee drink that Mike was buying.  He saved the jars and started mixing his own coffee at home.  Pint canning jars would work too. A smaller container that seals tightly so you can shake before drinking is what you need.


"Does juicing/making smoothies add anything besides aids in digestion? Most all those foods we eat as foods, so I don't need an extra step (and more dishes) unless there is a big reason why." 

Aiding in the digestion is the point.  Why eat all the fruit and veggies if I can't or my kids can't chew them well enough to process the nutrition?  The other factor is adding to the quantity and variety of the veggies and fruit we are consuming in a day.  I used to eat most of the veggies listed but the ones I was missing are the most important.  Primarily getting more raw, leafy greens like kale, spinach, collards, etc., has been the goal.  Beets and sweet potatoes have great nutritional value but I rarely eat those raw. Also, getting those bitter herbs that stimulate cleansing like cilantro and parsley.

It actually has meant significantly less work for me.  Once a day, I make up the smoothies.  Then I have a fresh, raw drink to consume while I'm preparing things for the girls. It's very filling and satisfying. I also have something easy to take on the go.  I also wonder how these would go down for some one with morning sickness. I don't recommend them as a midnight snack though. They seem to lead to laying in bed coming up with all kinds of new recipes and lifestyle changes. ;)

Vacuum sealing washed and prepared greens in mason jars, having a veggie prep day, bringing plastic tubs to the grocery store so I don't have to use all the individual plastic bags, figuring out how to make microwave popcorn for Mike...those are a few of the midnight inspired ideas.

"Why did you lose your taste for canned things? Because this new way of eating or was it long ago?"

It was because of the new way of eating.  After having a few smoothies, that's all I wanted.  After having fresh raw veggies anything cooked tasted heavy and sticky.  I wanted fresh salsa on my chicken, not the bland canned stuff we had.  It was the same way with spaghetti sauce. I usually put canned spaghetti sauce on my meat and beans if I don't do taco seasoning with salsa.  I wanted fresh tomatoes and basil to put on instead and could hardly wait to get back to the store to find some.


Mike watched another show called "Forks over Knives" and told me about how much sicker people are with the amount of animal products we eat.  As we were having this conversation, I sent my cousin, this message, "Oh dear...I think we're going vegan.."  After more discussion, we are just going to cut back on the amount of meat we consume.  


A few more smoothie tidbits:


I'm going do green smoothies separate from red smoothies.  I mixed sweet potatoes and a little bit of beets into the regular smoothie.  The color was quite unappealing.  Although the girls said that it looked like chocolate. Ha ha!  So same basic fruit bases: apples, oranges, grapes.  Then greens in one batch and beets and sweet potatoes and carrots in another batch.


I've begun pouring half into a pitcher and adding more.  I can make more smoothies and it makes it easier to pour into the jars.


Finally, it's important to balance the iron-rich greens with Vitamin C-rich foods or juices.  Constipation is the side effect of not enough Vitamin C with all these greens. Either in supplements or more citrus juice or fruit. Kiwis are good and you can cut the kiwi in half and then spoon out the inside. Super easy!


Here's a recipe somebody posted on Facebook. I would start with smaller quantities of the "hard stuff" like the cilantro, parsley and cayenne. I prefer my cayenne and avocado in my salsa but I can easy consume all these foods in a day.


Finally, Amanda learned how to peel a sweet potato.  The other girls were napping so she wanted to be doing what I was doing.  The next night, she peeled two sweet potatoes and ask for something else to peel.  Which lead to the other girls hollering, "I want something to peel too!"  Amanda peeled five or six more carrots.  I helped Ana peel some carrots and cucumber. I helped Tali cut a pepper and she took all the seeds out. One by one. :)


1 comment:

e&e said...

Next question:
How do you do shopping trips so often and with so many littles!?

More questions:
Do you always use organic?

How do you know what adequate chewing is or isn't?

Are all the veggies raw? How do you add hard veggies and blend raw? Cut up? Shredded?

Do you ever use white potatoes? Are Katie fries a thing of the past?

thanks!
elisa