Saturday, January 5, 2013

Princess Ball

How could I forget the princess ball?
After our impromptu sliding party, Mike took Amanda to my nephew's hockey game. Then she came back for a quick dinner and I took her and Julia to a friend's birthday party.  We were told it was a princess ball but if we didn't have any dress-up clothes not to worry because they had a very large bin of stuff.  I did have one dance costume so Amanda wore that.  

I was expecting a bunch of little girls playing dress-up while I hung out and chatted. Ha!  The little girl's dad had his d.j. equipment set  up. There was stuff to make princess crowns. One of the auntie's was doing face painting. Some of the adults were in gowns too. It turns out the mom has quite a collection of prom dresses for the girls at the residential facility where she teaches. So I found a dress to wear too. (And wished I had brushed my hair after the sliding party.) They had "formal" photos and a grand march.  

It was really a lot of fun.  The birthday girl turned six and most of the attendees were cousins.  Dads, aunts, uncles, grandma and grandpa were there too.  Some of the girls, like Amanda were a little shy and wanted to stay close to and dance with their moms so it was such a fun experience for everybody.  

This was the first birthday party Amanda had ever been too.  She was a little surprised by the amount of gifts.  When we were coming home Amanda said, "She got too many presents!"  I said, "I know that's a lot of stuff to take care of and keep cleaned up." Amanda responded, "Yeah!  What is she going to do with all that stuff?"  I said, "Maybe she'll give some of it away."

And she did.  A couple days later she helped her mom clean out the dress-up box and sent a bag of clothes to us.  They were well loved and some needed a bit of stitching.  (Which was thrilling for the girl too. I helped them each stitch up one of the dresses.)


Except for when they are eating or sleeping, these girls have been in dress-up ever since the bag arrived on Thursday night.  They are so excited.  The only thing they had for dress-up before was a bunch of silkies which they used very creatively, of course.
But the new stuff sure is fun!

No comments: