Friday, January 6, 2012

GFCF Cookies

My friend posted these on Facebook and I'm hoping to try out the recipe. I will skip the nuts and use light olive oil instead of the canola but other than that it's all food I can eat. It's also another way to use up those bananas that get too ripe.

‎1 1/2 cups regular rolled oats
1 cup coconut flakes
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon allspice
1/4 cup of almond meal
1/2 cup mixed nuts, finely chopped
1 cup dried fruit (I used craisins)

3 ripe bananas, mashed
1/4 cup canola oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 350. Line baking sheet with parchment paper. In a large bowl, combine rolled oats, almond meal, mixed nuts and coconut flakes. Stir in allspice and cinnamon. Add dried fruit and stir until well and evenly mixed. Make sure the dried fruit do not stick together in big batches.In another bowl, combine canola oil, mashed banana and vanilla extract. Pour wet ingredients over dry ingredients and stir until well combined. Bake until edges are golden brown, about 20 minutes.

3 comments:

jodilee0123 said...

Are you gluten free there? I will try this recipe too...My kiddos do much better without all that junk! :0)

Mike and Katie said...

I have multiply food allergies so I don't actually fit into the GFCF category because I can't have rice or corn either. I can tolerate some dairy like yogurt and hard cheeses. I just didn't know what else to call these cookies and they could be eaten by a GFCF person.

Anonymous said...

Hi. We made this recipe this weekend. A couple of suggestions for anyone else that attempts the recipe: make sure you flatten the 'dough' when placing them on the cookie sheet; these won't flatten out or rise like traditional cookies. We made ours about a quarter-inch to half-inch think. Salt is listed in the ingredients, though is missing from the preparation instructions -- I forgot to add it in my batch, though I don't think I miss it. We used Craisins as well, and slivered almonds instead of mixed nuts (which I chopped a little more finely).

The verdict: Delicious, and my kids love them! The consistency is more like a chewy granola/cereal bar than a cookie. Amazing that this recipe doesn't call for any sugar, eggs, or butter. They are plenty sweet enough, and a healthy alternative to store-bought or traditional cookies recipes.