Tuesday, December 13, 2011

How to Talk to Little Girls

A friend of mine posted this article on Facebook and I had to share it.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/lisa-bloom/how-to-talk-to-little-gir_b_882510.html

It's about resisiting the urge to start a conversation with a girl by talking about her looks. I remember when Amanda was only a few months old, it made me uncomfortable how many comments were about her hair. Now granted, she was the first baby I had that actually had any hair and I've since come to realize how I frequently comment about little babies hair, too. However, at the time it made think that perhaps there was some real value in the Biblical practice of having women cover their heads.

My concern had more to do with Amanda's adoption and how having people mention her hair (or skin) upon the first meeting would be a constant reminder to her that she was different from us and didn't "fit in."

Now with three little girls, I notice how some one will compliment Amanda's hair but not Christiana's. That won't go unnoticed for long.

I guess it's a good thing nine months out of the year require hats around here. And come to think of it, I'm pretty diligent about having them wear sun hats in the summer because I hate sunscreen, so we should be good for a few years anyways. ;)

No comments: