Thursday, October 6, 2011

Ethnic Foods-Updated with a link to pictures.

Click here to see pictures of our grasshopper project.


A few weeks ago, we gathered a bucketful of acorns at our neighbor's house to do a little craft project. The nuts sat in the bucket for quite some time before I attempted the project. By that time, some of the acorns had dried and cracked at the bottom so Amanda was able to peel them open. She was so tempted to take a bite of one and I thought they were poisionous. I finally did a search and it turns they are not poisionous if they are properly prepared.

Acorns

We boiled ours and changed the water several times over the course of two days. They smelled lovely but the water was never very clear. Meanwhile our neighbor just boiled hers for the morning and then roasted them. Amanda tried them and said, "Mmmm. Good!" The little girls spit them out right away. I didn't try them because I'm allergic to other nuts so I didn't want to risk it. Our neighbor thought they were too dry and not very tasty. At home, I just drained of the rest of the liquid and frozen the few acorns that I had cooked up. Amanda will eat them if I give her a few. Silly girl! I can't imagine they taste very good but I'm happy to encourage her adventurous spirit.

And then...

She asked if we could eat bugs! Oh, great. But... not wanting to spoil her fun and considering that I could teach her some valuable survival lessons, we looked up what kinds of bugs could be eaten in Minnesota.

Crickets

Crickets and grasshoppers seem to be the most likely candidates. I had to laugh at the recipe though. It recommended rinsing and patting the crickets dry while they were still alive. Hmmm. I'm not quite sure how that would work. We opted to freeze ours first to kill them. So, as we speak there are 5-10 grasshoppers sitting in our freezer. Tomorrow they will be rinsed, de-legged and be-headed, roasted and then eaten with a little salt or dipped in chocolate. Not by me, of couse, since I'm pregnant and really shouldn't be trying strange foods. ;) I think I'll try chocolate covered potato chips as long as I have the chocolate melted.

Multi-cultural education? Check! The Native Americans used acorns as food and bugs are often eaten in Asian countries.

I didn't get pictures of the acorn processing. Would you like to see pictures of the grass hoppers? ;)

3 comments:

snekcip said...

Poor JIMMY THE CRICKET(s)!!!! NO THANKS!! :D

Johanna @ These Prices said...

That's so fun! I was looking up native Navajo diets, and acorns were on the list. Maybe next fall Amanda and Harry can have an acorn baking party. :)

e&e said...

YES!!!! PHOTOS!!!!!!!!

Did I ever tell you that Joshy ate acorns in Ohio? Regularly, actually. Remind me to tell you about it sometime. We also ate a lot of hickory nuts and black walnuts there too. My neighbor here is collecting the black walnuts in our backyard to roast.
elisa