Monday, September 12, 2011

A Garden Update

In the middle of July, my squash were looking pretty meager so I planted some carrots, beans and kale to fill up some of the empty space in my garden.

And then the squash exploded in my garden. They have completely taken over and I have cut back many vines that were escaping from the kennel. I have also tucked many vines and small squash back inside the wires to grow inside the protection of the fence.

But some squash have been growing out where the voracious deer have access to them. I've been concerned that I would get up one morning and find giant bites out of the these rogue squash.


Good squash-growing inside the fence. Bad squash-growing outside the fence.

I was able to find some chicken wire in the shed that should protect them.

I can't wait to cook these babies up. Mmmm! I love buttercup squash! It was the only kind I ever remember my mom growing too.

1 comment:

Misty said...

I am so jealous of your garden. Mine didn't really take off this year. BUMMER!!!

Katie.....I need to see more baby bump pictures. :)