Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Sadness and Joy

Almost two years ago, I sat on the stairs in my entryway leaning against Mike, pregnant with Tali and holding newborn Christiana in my arms, crying with my dearest friend who just found out her husband had been diagnosed with terminal brain cancer.

We had watched their dog while they went to the Cities for an MRI. She was picking up Tommy and sharing the results. It was heartbreaking to think that she was going to lose her husband.

After the initial shock of the diagnosis, we all sort of moved into "faith-and-hope" mode. You know, where you take one day at a time and don't really talk about the future and hold onto hope of miraculous healing. I would often wonder if she thought about life without her husband but didn't dare ask her about it fearing that would show I didn't have faith he'd be healed.

Our life became very intense caring for the babies and her life became very intense caring for her husband. We used to see each other several times a week. She had been my partner in adventures with my boys every since we moved here. Sliding, skating, swimming, sports, the park, etc. It was so hard for me to not be able to support her during this hard time. I'm sure it was hard for her to not be able to share in our joyful time as our family has grown and the pain of infertility became a blurry memory.

My friend and her husband were strong Christians and their faith grew and was shared throughout this battle with cancer. Once he was unable to work, he often stopped by Mike's work and shared his health struggles and his faith. There was often signs of hope that he would be healed and we all continued to hope and pray that he would get a miracle.

Last week, he received his miracle. His body was completely restore and healed in his new heavenly home. Tonight we gathered to celebrate his life and rejoice in the hope of heaven. He was an amazing and faithful man. It is a great loss.

There is great comfort in knowing he had a strong relationship with Jesus and knowing that in Christ we will see him again. But I am still heartbroken. Heartbroken for his wife, his three children, his parents, his extended family, his friends, his patients, his neighbors, the list goes on.

The service was so beautiful, so filled with hope and promise and words of comfort as we said good-by. But the words I'm clinging to tonight as my heart is broken and the tears are falling come from the shortest verse in the Bible, John 11:35, "Jesus wept." Jesus wept with Lazarus's sisters knowing that in mere moments he would be raising Lazarus back to life and their sorrow would be wiped away. He still cried with them and felt the pain they were feeling.

So tonight, I am weeping with my friend, knowing her husband's joy but feeling the pain of human loss.

2 comments:

snekcip said...

My heartfelt prayers are for your friend on the loss of her wonderful husband. He truly sounded like a wonderful man.

I hope she finds comfort in knowing that "To be absent from the body, is to be present with God.

jodilee0123 said...

I'm so sorry Katie. I will pray for everyone.