Sunday, June 19, 2011

Happy Father's Day

Proverbs 31 has been a go-to passage for me as a vision of a godly woman. I recognize that this woman is not a young mom. She is a seasoned manager of her household and the things she has accomplished have happened over time.

Proverbs 31:23 says, "Her husband is respected at the city gate, where he takes his seat among the elders of the land." I have believed that my role as a wife was to provide support for my husband so he could be successful in business and active in city and church politics. I have seen this verse come true. He is well-known as an important business man in our town and his opinion matters at city hall. He is also an elder of our church.


However, Kim at His Hands and Feet posted another reason my husband is and will be well-known at the city gates. This is from Job 29:7-17


"When I went out to the gate of the city,


When I took my seat in the square,


The young men saw me and hid themselves,


And the old men arose and stood.

“The princes stopped talking

And put their hands on their mouths;

The voice of the nobles was hushed,

And their tongue stuck to their palate.

“For when the ear heard,

it called me blessed,

And when the eye saw,

it gave witness of me,

Because I delivered the poor who cried for help,

And the orphan who had no helper.

“The blessing of the one ready to perish came upon me,

And I made the widow’s heart sing for joy.

“I put on righteousness, and it clothed me;

My justice was like a robe and a turban.

“I was eyes to the blind

And feet to the lame.

“I was a father to the needy,

And I investigated the case which I did not know.

“I broke the jaws of the wicked

And snatched the prey from his teeth."


As with Proverbs 31 list, I don't see this as a list of things my husband needs to achieve. Instead, this is a list of the work that God is doing and is going to do in him. It's exciting and emotional for me to see line by line, verse by verse how God has worked in my husband's life and will continue the good work He has begun.

Happy Father's Day, Mike! I am so proud to be your wife. And we shouldn't be surprised when people stop and stare with mouths agape when you walk in leading your flock. :)

1 comment:

jodilee0123 said...

great post!
I did a summer women's group at church last year on this verse. I still have a lot of work to do! :)