Tuesday, April 12, 2011

My Mom Makes Me Laugh


The following email conversation started with this picture and the email subject: Trumpeter Swans?


Me: "We watched at least two flocks of these birds fly over our house. At first I thought they were geese but the sound was different. Amanda talked about some other birds,too. I wish I could remember how she described them but it was funny, of course. But it had something to do with them making noise. We've been hanging out on deck with the sliding door open."

My mom: "Am studying my bird book and have asked for help on the birds." Me: "They are trumpeter swans I'm sure. Click on the photo and zoom in. Long necks." http://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Trumpeter_Swan/sounds "This was the sound. I have it recorded on video too." My mom (several minutes later): "Of course they are trumpeters!! I was looking at them BACKWARDS! Silly me!" That's when I noticed the discription she had sent to the local bird expert: "Flying over [our town] area. Short necks, black heads, long trailing legs? Not Trumpeters, not snow geese. Not pelicans or gulls or Egrets." Perhaps, it was the late hour or maybe we're just bird geeks, but it made me laugh out loud. Maybe I should have sent the video first! :) The bird expert did respond that they were probably tundra swans since the flocks were so large and he had seen hundreds of them in the past week too.

1 comment:

jodilee0123 said...

That made me laugh out loud too! I can see how you could look at that backwards! ;0)