Tuesday, March 22, 2011

It was bound to happen...

Most of the time, when people see a baby on my back they are curious, impressed, amused or surprised. I often have people ask me how I did it or where to buy the wrap because they have a daughter, granddaughter or niece who just had a baby or is expecting. But in the three years of babywearing, I had never heard a negative comment.

Until Sunday...

The comment came from a visiting pastor. In fact, I think he's being consider as a pastoral candidate. The first thing he said to me was that during the service he just kept thinking about how all Tali could see was my back. He was trying to say it in the nicest way possible but he was saying he didn't think being on my back would be very fun for the baby.

I just stood there dumbfounded. I couldn't believe what I was hearing, didn't know what to say, and was busy trying to keep track of Ana. One of the other ladies came to my defense and said that Tali was just so happy to be close to her mama.

Later Mike asked me if I had met the visiting pastor and what I had thought about him. I told him about the comment. I also told him that I didn't judge him too harshly on the comment because he didn't have the privilege of being there the previous week when I didn't have one of the babies strapped to my back. You know, when Ana escaped up to the front where Mike was playing guitar, and Amanda burst into tears because I told her not to pester Tyler, and Tali got her foot stuck while standing next to me on the chair squealing and flirting with the couple behind us.

Because then he would have commented on how positively brilliant it is to strap one of the babies to my back. :)

6 comments:

jodilee0123 said...

hahahahaha! I LOVE IT!

Lynnette said...

I liked your "previous Sunday" story!
How exactly DO you sit during church with someone strapped on your back though? On your front, I understand. On your back, I don't get it. Unless your pews/chairs don't have backs on them.

Myrtle said...

Funny! I think people forget to keep some thoughts to themselves. I think you handled it well. Wouldn't we all love to have that feeling that Tali has when she is on your back?!

momto9 said...

water off a ducks back! He has no idea! I bet he'll warm up to it though..

JCF said...

It is always funny to me when people make comments to me, assuming my children feel a certain way about things. I've gotten comments like what you did about babywearing, extended rear facing car seats, and eating healthy food. My grandma firmly believes that I'm depriving my children of junk food and that they resent me for it. The truth is that they LOVE salad, plain yogurt, and lots of other things that she thinks I'm "forcing" them to eat, whereas they won't touch Kraft Mac and Cheese or chicken nuggets if presented with them.

Davene Grace said...

Oh, Katie, I so admire you for using humor to describe a situation that immediately made me bristle--and that came just from reading about it! I'm not sure what I would have said if I had been in your shoes! Thanks for being a good example of graciousness. :)