Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Whoops! Wrong baby!

Having two babies who are very close to the same age is confusing. Amanda hears, "Whoops! Wrong baby!" so often at the table that she thinks it's my dinnertime mantra that must be said several times at each meal. Since I'm often feeding myself, Christiana and Talitha, I often space out and try to feed one feed the babies the wrong spoonful. Sometimes I catch myself before I do it, but occasionally the look of shock and disgust on Tali's face as I feed her something that's a little too lumpy or a completely new food reminds me.

Until yesterday, I had always said, "Well, at least it wasn't something she wasn't too young to have." Yesterday, she ended up with a mouthful of peanut butter oatmeal. I waited a long time before introducing peanut butter to the other girls and planned especially so with considering my peanut issues. So, far is hasn't seemed to bother her. I still don't plan to make it a regular part of her diet just yet.

In the bathroom, I have devised a plan to keep their tooth brushes and cups separate. After doing Christiana's bedtime routine with Tali one day, I figured it was time for each little girl to have their own cup and brush. We had just bought a new toothbrush for Tali, but hadn't really used a cup with her before so I didn't put one in the bathroom for her. She just opened her mouth politely when I put Christiana's cup up to her lips, but really didn't know what to do with it. I decided that was the day I needed to 1. have a separate cup for each of them and 2. use a cup more often with Tali.

Now with Tony and Tyler it was easy. Tyler has green eyes and Tony has blue so I always bought a blue and green tooth brush. At one point, they wanted different colors but I told, "No it's just too confusing." I'm a mean mama. I know. We tried labeling them but the permanent marker always came off. So, this is my current solution for the girls tooth brushes:

One toothbrush and cup in matching colors for each girl.

And since I'm likely to forget whose color is whose, a guide written in washable crayon on the mirror.
How do you organize the toothbrushes at your house?

8 comments:

Karen said...

Sounds like a good plan. All ours are in a cup (we somehow remember which is which) and we use 2 oz. disposable cups.

Mandy said...

love it!! We are blessed with 3 bathrooms here, so I try to space out the 5 kids into the 2 baths that are "theirs." 2 in one.. 3 in the other. Then, I let them pick out their own toothbrushes with one rule - no one can get the same character, or color. My youngest two are 3 and 19 months right now... so everyone can keep up with their own stuff for the most part except the 19 month old.. he thinks everything is his.. ;)

e&e said...

So cute! And pleasing to the eyes to see such organization. Every little bit counts!

I love the words on the mirror. GREAT idea!
elisa

Lysana said...

My son has a green Winnie-The-Pooh toothbrush, while my (older) daughter has a pink Princess one. I have absolutely gotten them mixed up, but fortunately (maybe?) the one who's about to get the wrong toothbrush will always notice and throw a "THAT'S NOT MY TOOTHBRUSH!!!" fit until my brain figures out what is going on.

It helps, of course, that mine are old enough to notice (and care), and my youngest (almost 6 mo) hasn't entered into the rotation, yet.

snekcip said...

Perfect!

Danielle said...

I can relate to that! I have a 14 month old and a 7 month old. Last week I gave the older baby the younger baby's dose of ibuprofen. They are both teething, so it's all good. Glad I'm not the only one.

Visual Notes said...

I think by colour...ha ha, I have no idea. So much for organizing.

Nicole Marie said...

Genious!