Monday, December 6, 2010

Just Keep Singing!

Singing- one if the most used items in my little bag of tricks.

If Amanda's whining about bedtime, I start singing the Veggie Tales thankfulness song. If Christiana's squirming during a diaper change, I start singing the diaper changing song from My Smart Hands. If the girls are fighting over a toy, I start singing the Magic Words song from Signing Time. If I'm trying to get the dishes washed quick before church and Amanda and Christiana are pestering each other, I start singing the name song. "Ana, Ana bo-bana, banana-fanana fo-fanana, me my mo mana, Ana!" They were mesmerized by that one! Amanda would shout out the next family member's name and listen intently to hear how the song would turn out.


If Amanda has never heard the song before, she will ask me to repeat it again and again. I used to think this was just one of those annoying toddler quirks, but since we have obliged her request for repeating a book or song, she has shown us that she's trying to memorized them.


Lately we have been listening to some Bible verses set to music. It is a CD created by Heidi Hoilien for the Children Desiring God ministry. We listen to the music and I have printed out the verses and posted them in a couple of places in the house so even when the CD isn't on, seeing the words makes the song pop into my head and I start singing.

It has been a great way for ME to finally memorize some scripture. I have always wanted to be able to pull up verses for my kids as they face issues and behaviors but hadn't committed enough verses to memory. Now, they're in my head and when Tyler started complaining about having to get up and come to the table, I started singing, "Do all things without grumbling or questioning. Do all things without grumbling or questioning. Phillippians 2:14 says, 'Do all things with out grumbling or questioning.'" He may have commented about how I had lost all self-respect for blurting out such a silly tune, but he came to the table and quit complaining.

When I first became I Christian, I learned of the importance of praising God because it keeps our mind focused heavenward and not on our earthly circumstances. During these days when my hands are kept very busy, singing helps to lift me and my littles into the lofty places where God lives. There is no better place to be!

4 comments:

Nancy said...

Great post! I needed this encouragement today. Thank you!

Misty said...

Singing is something that I am not good at but I use it every day with my day care kiddos. It makes transitions soooo much easier.

Keep on singing!!!

Tiffany said...

I love this post, and I could not agree more! I am so glad that I stumbled on your blog. I see that you are a mommy with a heart for adoption - me too! We are finalizing our Ethiopian adoption right now. I look forward to coming back here!
Blessings, Tiffany

Jamie said...

Amen and amen! I love having the songs of Scripture memorized so that when the Lord brings one to my mind, I can sing His truth to little hearts and souls. Steve Green has two favorites (Hide Em In Your Heart) and Seeds Family Worship has about six that are great as well.