Friday, November 5, 2010

Cookies!!!

I don't think I've made (or eaten) cookies for close to eight years. The last time I tried was after I quit using white flour and sugar and before I found out that I was allergic to wheat and eggs. Since my oat pancakes had turned out okay without eggs, and my yogurt soaking had made biscuit and tortillas better, I was considering attempting to try cookies again. Then my friend Joy posted about making cookies without eggs and led me to this recipe.


My recipe bears little resemblance to the original but it planted the belief that it was possible to make cookies without eggs. My first attempt followed her recipe closely just substituting with things I had at home: ground oats for the flour, raw sugar for brown and white sugar, raisin and cinnamon for cocoa and chocolate chips. My second attempt involved soaking a portion of the oat flour in yogurt overnight. My final and best recipe involves allowing the prepared batter to sit overnight. Perfect! :) It is a large batch and makes about 4 dozen small cookies.


4 cups oat flour (I put quick oats in the blender. You could use whole wheat flour too.)
1/2 tsp baking soda
2 cups raw sugar
1/2 cup butter (1 stick)
1 tsp vanilla
1 1/2 cup plain yogurt (Low fat or fat free is not recommended)
1 cup chocolate chips or dried fruit


In a medium bowl, combine flour and baking soda. In a large bowl, mix softened butter and sugar together. Add vanilla and yogurt. Mix in flour. Fold in chips or dried fruit. Cover the bowl and place in the refrigerator overnight or on the counter for 6-8 hours. The yogurt will break down the whole grain and make it stickier.

When you're ready to bake the cookies, preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. I use Pampered Chef baking stones and the small batter scoop. We used our fingers to press the batter into cookie shapes. Bake for 15-17 minutes. Allow them to cool about 15 minutes on the stone before moving them to a cooling rack. We got about 4 dozen out of each batch. Many were eaten. Some are still in the freezer.

I made some with cinnamon and raisin. I added about 1 tsp of cinnamon, maybe less, to the butter and sugar mixture and substituted 1 cup of oat flour for 1 cups of oats. I also made some with chocolate chips and then some with chocolate chips and peanut butter. Add 1/2 cup of peanut butter to the butter and sugar mixture and reduce the yogurt by 1/2 cup. You can always add more yogurt a Tbsp at a time if the batter seems too dry. Then I made some with dried cranberries.

By this time I was beginning to feel the effects of too much dairy, and determined to make them dairy-free. I substituted 1/2 cup light olive oil for the butter and soymilk for the yogurt. I just added enough soymilk to wet the batter to the right consistency. They were more crumbly than the yogurt ones but they were still yummy and met my need for something sweet and crunchy and filling.

These cookies are my new secret weapon to bring my boys back to the dark side.* When I got pregnant with Tali, Mike took over shopping and providing meals for himself and the boys which meant raman noodles, cheesy noodles, microwave popcorn, processed meats and white buns. Persuading them to turn back to our once healthy meals has not been easy. But these little cookies are working their magic and I'm sure they have significantly more nutritional value than raman noodles and substantially less salt than cheesy noodles and no MSG, nitrates, sulfates or preservatives. It was fun to be able to send them out the door this morning with a baggie full of peanut butter and chocolate chips cookies from the freezer knowing they had a little bit of mama love and nutrition to start their day.
*dark side = whole grain foods

2 comments:

Joy Estelle said...

This is wonderful! I love taking a recipe and making it more healthful. I can't wait to try your version.

mama said...

I soo want some cookies now.