Saturday, October 30, 2010

Pineapple, Spinach, and Kale...

...did not make very good pancakes ingredients but they made a great breakfast salad.

Did you know that in order for your body to assimilate the iron in plant food, they need to be eaten with a Vitamin C food? I just learned this last month when we found out Christiana's iron was a little low. After a month of applying this principle of eating Vitamin C foods with iron containing foods, her iron is up within normal levels.

Spinach contains some iron and calcium and the pineapple and pomegranate contain Vitamin C. They are also on opposite sides of the pH scale so they pair together nicely. Christiana loved this salad. I cut the spinach into little pieces and she just gobbled it right up. Amanda ate some of it but did not really care for the spinach. After all of the pancakes we ate on Thursday, eating this salad, cold and raw, was quite refreshing.

2 comments:

J said...

Speaking of pancakes, I made plain, yoghurt and and rolled oats pancakes. No colours or purees in them... hehe, and I like them! My daughter does too! I am impressed! Healthy pancakes! I don't sweeten them and put a smidge of maple syrup on top.

Davene said...

That salad sounds delicious!! My boys love spinach salads; I might have to try this with the pineapple and pomegranate.