Saturday, October 2, 2010

Happy Trails!

With Amanda's recent improvement in biking skills and Tali's ability to sit up on her own, I realized that I could take all three girls out for a bike ride. We tried it once around the neighborhood and it went okay. There were only a few places where I needed to stop and help Amanda up hills or through the soft gravel. This weekend, I coordinated with Mike to get my bike and the buggy to his work. There is a bike trail right next to his work. (Have you ever noticed that all real* lumber yards were located next to train tracks and former train tracks make the best bike trails? *not big box discount stores)



It was a little chilly for my liking. But we're never out for long so I toughed it out. It was so nice to pedal along next to Amanda on smooth pavement with no concern for cars. This particular stretch of trail goes for quite a long ways without crossing any roads. I love looking down at Amanda and telling her how much I like biking with her. The look on her face is priceless.




The fall colors were so pretty too. It's so hard to capture their beauty in pictures because it is the changes and surprise as we traveled down the trail that makes it so beautiful. I'm always amazed by how things change every day. Last week the maples in our yard had all turned yellow so even if it wasn't sunny, it looked sunny out our windows. This week many more leaves have fallen and our yard suddenly feels larger and more open.

Tali always has that little, mouth-agape smile on her face. It's her default look. The little fleece hoodies are from the second batch of clothing sent to us by Mike's aunt in Virginia. They are 12 month size. Christiana has longer limbs than Tali but their clothes are pretty interchangeable. They are also wearing the same size pilot cap from Hannah Andersson. I consider those little hats a baby essential. They are just perfect for staying on their heads and covering their ears.


The best part of this trail is the bridge that goes over the main highway. When we arrived on the bridge, there were two kids standing on the ledges trying to get the cars to honk at them. Amanda was pretty nervous about standing over the highway and stay back over the verge. She was pretty alarmed when the kids got a cement mixer to honk. "Too loud! Too loud!" All of the kids were in quite a tizzy about that one. The moms thought it was great!


When it was time for the kids to go, Amanda got on her bike and started following right behind them. I'm sure she was remembering following her cousins on their bikes last weekend with my mom. Then she turned around in a panic because I wasn't right behind her.

We left the bike and buggy at Mike's work so a couple of more bike trips will be easy to do this next coming week if it's supposed to be warm. I hope so. Biking with these three little girls is so much fun.

10 comments:

Karen said...

That looks like a lot of fun!

e&e said...

Wow you are strong to haul both those little girls in the buggy. That trail looks magnificent. I wish we lived closer!

elisa

momto9 said...

And look at the vibrant colours in your neighborhood! Fall is the best time for walks and biking and most anything I say!:)

Nancy said...

What an awesome time! Amanda looks like such a big girl and the little girls look so cute together in the buggy. I can't wait to use mine next spring/summer/fall when we have two!

Salma said...

Looks nice out there. Great time for a ride. The girls will remember these days.

Shebee said...

That looks so cute! I love the outdoors with the kids. We bike to a park so that they are good and tired for naps, works great!

Johanna @ These Prices said...

Oh my goodness. How fun! Your girls are just so beautiful.

La Familia Garcia said...

oOh they really look like they are having fun!

Muliebrity said...

You always seem to have so much energy, Katie!

Mike and Katie said...

Muliebrity,
It's all an illusion. It takes sheer force of the will for me to take the girls out. I'm so tired by the end of the day and so it's easier to get them outside and spread out than tripping over each other in the house when everybody patience is wearing thin.

I have been inspired by the people I know who run. Those last miles are brutal but knowing the finish line is near keeps them going. For me, bedtime is the finish line and I always feel a great sense of accomplishment when I get there.