Friday, October 22, 2010

Hair Process Week Two

So after a week of mostly free curls, I tried the suggestion of de-tangling Amanda's hair while it was still dry in the hopes of preventing breakage. It was extremely time consuming because the ends just kept tangling back up. I finally just got Amanda in the tube and saturated her hair with conditioner and used the rat tail comb working on the ends first. Jarmelia asked how often I shampoo her hair. Never. I haven't used shampoo on her hair since she was a year old and we ran out of the Carol's Daughter stuff we were given.
After detangling, I rinsed her hair and wrapped it in a baby towel. After drying and lotioning the rest of her, I put the coconut/cocoa/shea butter mixture in her hair to seal in the moisture. I gave her a middle part and divided her hair into eight section. I made my first attempt at cornrows close to her scalp and then rope twisted the ends. It took about 40 minutes.
The back looks pretty awful by the next morning already, so I took those out and divided each section into about four sections going downward. Most of the twists I started with a braid to see if they would hold longer. It took another 30 minutes. The pictures are from the second day. I also used snaps instead of bands.



This style did not look nice for very long. The above pictures were from Saturday. On Sunday, I just used my Aloe Vera gel to smooth down the frizzy but it still looked pretty messy, especially the cornrows in front. So, on Monday I took them out again. I was going to braid all the little sections, but braiding takes me so much longer than twisting. Again, I used my homemade oil mixture. I wanted to use it consistently to see how it worked. It's probably great as a moisturizer but has no hold so we'll stick with the conditioners for a little more hold. I used black snaps this time.

The varying lengths are an indication of my need to do some trimming. I did trim some of the ends but not all of them because I'm wishy washy and ran out of time. First I wasn't going to trim any and then decided to trim some but never got back around to doing the other side. She is three, remember? When I get to the other side of her head than where I started, she begins to ask hopefully, "All done?"

She has a lot of fun with her twists swinging and clicking but they get in her food and irresistible for her little sisters so I prefer to pull them back into a loose pony tail. I need to redo the pony tail in the mornings and the little snaps tend to get caught so by Wednesday morning at had taken out the snaps. The twists still stayed twisted. In real life, it looked a little messy and fuzzy to me but you can't really see it in the pictures from the farm.

On Saturday, I didn't take out the twists before giving her a bath so that I could easily work baking soda into her scalp to exfoliate it. I used the coconut oil to seal in the moisture again and put it into a bun before bed. I didn't have time to do anything more with it before church except to use Aloe Vera gel to smooth the frizzy and do a single twist in the back. It still had the braids and some of the twist strands were visible.

So that was the process for the second week. Why am I posting all this? Certainly not because I have it all figured out. I'm actually looking for more suggestions. Once I get the third week post done, I'm going to send my link to my hair guru's and see what advice they can give me.

4 comments:

Keeslermom said...

There is a terrific Yahoo group for adoptive families that gives hints and how-to's for AA hair. It's called adoptionhair_skincare, and maybe they could give you some ideas?

Anonymous said...

have you considered allowing her hair to dread? still work, of course, but it's more just a matter of maintaining a little each day (or every couple of days).

Anonymous said...

As the mom of boys, I am of no help to you. I just wanted to say that I love how you styled her hair in these photos!

Kris

MochaMama said...

First off, I give you credit for trying to do your daughter's hair. I am an African American mother of four daughters. Yes, we do wash our hair as well as condition it, too. Not sure who told you never to wash her hair, but that is just wrong advice! A scalp needs to be cleansed properly!
You can take her to a salon or find an African American woman to do her hair correctly. The way you braid it, it makes it look like bald patches in the back. Not very attractive at all! If you cant find anyone, just stick to ponytails, please.