Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Credit Where Credit is Due



Here are some pictures of how our pancakes turned out. I used oats soaked in plain yogurt and no sugar since our sugar is raw and tinges everything a little brown. We used beets for the red, raw carrots for the orange, buttercup squash for the yellow, fresh spinach for the green, fresh blueberries for the blue, and blueberries and beets for the purple. I edited the photos so it looked as close to what I saw as possible. The blue did not end up looking very blue.



We tried pomegranate juice, pineapple and sweet potatoes. I never tried the kale because the spinach gave such a great color. They really weren't very tasty but oh! what fun to make! Amanda tried all the colors and ate most of them. The pineapple were really yucky to us. I always think things taste weird after eating pineapple though. We'll freeze the left overs and pack them as snacks. Christiana ate some of the orange and red but she isn't really fond of pancakes in general. These will sure make a good baby snack for Tali.







When I went over and looked at the panckaes cooling on the rack I found one that looked a little more blue than my first one. Maybe it was the rest of the blueberries mixed with the pomagranate juice. That batter was just pale purple. The colors are actually better in real life. The red and purple look like hamburger patties in the photos.
Cultured oat pancake batter:
4 cups oats
4 cups yogurt

Mix together and soaked overnight in the fridge.

1/4 light olive oil
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt

Mix together and flavor creatively! :)



Original post:





Mckmama warned me she'd be linking over here to give me credit for suggesting making rainbow pancakes with the same beet puree she used to make pink rice. You all need to know that it was not an original thought.

I hardly know where to start.

My cultured pancake recipe came from a Sally Fallon seminar that my friend attended.

My yogurt recipe came from Ruth Yaron's Super Baby Food. That's also where I got the idea to cook and puree kale.

The idea to make rainbow pancakes came from Amanda at i am mommy. The poor girl received so much flack about the food coloring that it got me thinking about how they could be made with healthier coloring. Sure they wouldn't look quite and pretty but it would still be fun. She has another recipe for rainbow colors that use more natural ingredients too.

The idea of using beet puree came from In the Kitchen with Aubrey. Apparently she got the idea from the book Deceptively Delicious.

Lately I have been making the pancakes with oats instead of whole wheat flour, light olive oil instead of butter and leaving out the eggs. That makes the recipe edible for me and I couldn't be happier!

Like everything these days, it's taken me a while to get around to making the rainbow pancakes but I'll post pictures when I get them done. I'm culturing the yogurt today and made up the kale, carrot, and beet puree this morning. I've got some buttercup squash cubes already in the freezer and still need to pick up blueberries and grape juice. Meanwhile, my girls are running amuck. I better go rescue the toddler with a bucket on her head before she decides it's no longer funny.

I can't wait to see how Mckmama's turned out!

8 comments:

Tina Fisher said...

It sure seems to me as if you adjusted all these recipes to call this your own!

Nice to see that you are being thoughtful as to giving credit. I doubt I have a single recipe to call my own.

Can't wait to see pictures!!

e&e said...

Wow that post must have taken a long time with all those links.

I've used beet juice and raspberry juice to color frosting for frosted cookies on Valentine's Day. I was so pleased with how it turned out, and the kids thought the cookies were growing food since they had fruit and veggie juice in them.

We've also made pink rice with beet juice, though quite by accident. SOMEONE (me) wasn't paying attention when she poured the rice into a pot, and instead of a clean pot, poured it into the pot I'd just boiled beets in. But it was a hit and we've done it many more times (on purpose)!

elisa

Kristi said...

sounds yummy! when can i come over for breakfast?

kris in larryville said...

I got several links from this post and am happy I found it. I have not tried anything other than the Pink Pancakes. I am going to try other colors now as well. Thanks!

J said...

I love the idea of the pancake recipe as is. With the colours, it's even better.

Ell said...

Hey thanks for showing how they turned out, that was very helpful. :)

Joy Estelle said...

And the greatest mama of the day award goes to you, my friend. Well done!

Myrtle said...

we must be living in a parallel universe! I just made these for my son's bday! I read MM's recipe after- and could kick myself! I would have loved to use natural ingredients! I'll be coming back to this page for sure!