Thursday, September 16, 2010

No More Bottles

I was in no hurry to get Christiana off bottles. I figured that I nursed Amanda for 18 months and I hope to nurse Talitha for closer to two years, so why would I be in a hurry to rush Christiana out of this stage of babyhood? I thought the time I would spend feeding her a bottle would be good bonding time.


Christiana, however, had other ideas. She just really wants to be like Amanda and drink out of a sippy cup. If I didn't give her one, she would complain loudly, wiggle and squirm, push away the bottle and steal Amanda's cup if given the chance. While I am not in the habit of giving into a child's demands, I am willing to reconsider and change plans when it seems prudent. So, after she finished a bottle at lunch a few days ago, I decided we were done.

That challenging part about switching to the cup is that they tend to drink less. Christiana really likes to eat, so I just use my milk in her cereal and oatmeal instead of water like I had been doing. This means I need to soak it instead of microwaving it, but that just takes planning. It's sad for me to being moving her into a phase where she is relying more on the variety of foods she eats to get the bulk of her nutrition instead of my milk. It just represents one more step away from her babyhood that went by far too quickly.

She seems to have taken to the transition cheerfully although her biggest complaint is that the milk is no longer warmed up. And while she is all done with bottles, that doesn't mean I no longer have bottles to wash because I am still pumping for her and to donate. I am happy to be done washing nipples and rings though.

1 comment:

jodilee0123 said...

Awwwww. . . you are my hero! I know how very busy you are and pumping just has to be so much work! We thank you from the bottom of our hearts!