Thursday, August 26, 2010

Painting with Glue

One of the Fly Lady's tips sounds something like this, "When you tackle an area you want to clean, only take out what you can put away in 15 minutes." Or something like that. It's a great strategy because 15 minutes is really about the longest my little ones can tolerate not having my undivided attention. So, I was tackling my bottom drawer and came across this "stuff" that I was saving for a "project." It was green tissue paper and plastic from a bunch of tulips Mike gave me and some purple tissue paper. I gave it to Amanda to play with since I planned to just throw it out anyways. She joyfully began ripping it into little pieces. When I finished the drawer, I decided we would do a project "right now!"

I poured the rest of a mostly empty bottle of glue into a little mug and thinned it with water. I spread out the piece of plastic and placed the mug in the middle. Then I gave Amanda paint brushes and let her start painting. Meanwhile I continued to tear the tissue paper and stick it onto the glue.

I don't know why I never thought of painting with glue before. It's brilliant! All the fun of painting with no worries of wrecked clothing. When we finished covering all the empty spots with paper, we brushed a thin coat of paint over the top to smooth all the edges.

Then I taped the creation in our living room window and we've been enjoying the beauty ever since. It's particularly stunning in the morning sun.

10 comments:

Lynnette said...

Fun idea! Thanks for sharing!

Jessie's Girls said...

That's a fun idea. I have oodles of tissue paper - can't stand to see it being thrown out at baby showers and the like!

This is my first time at your blog - you have a lovely, blessed family.

e&e said...

You're an inspiration, Katie. All your cooking, your projects, and whenever I talk to you on the phone, you always sound so CALM.

Miss you,
elisa

A Family of Love said...

That is an awesome idea. I am always looking for fun projects for Matthew and I to do. He has been especially fond of play-doh lately (keeps him busy at least 1/2 hour).

I love the colors too! Green is one of my favorites.

Mike and Katie said...

Elisa,

Wasn't that you I was talking to this afternoon when the world was falling apart at our house? I can't remember what was going on but I'm sure I had to end the phone call abruptly because of some major disaster. ;)

Sole Sister Salma said...

It looks beautiful really, I love the colous coordination.

Misty said...

What a fun activity to do at home. Amanda looked very engaged. Keep it up!

Davene said...

What a fun mom you are! It's been ages since I did this with my boys...I should do it again. I love to see the color combinations and patterns they come up with. :)

momto9 said...

so does this mean you do flylady? I've been thinking of starting motivted moms. Have you heard of it? I have a link to it on my blog. Not sure what I'll do yet though...it be nice to get more organized with school having started and all....I only have 3 at home until 2:15 5 days a week.

Mike and Katie said...

It means that one day I went to Fly Lady's site, read a bunch of her tips and started incorporating them into my day one at a time. Some day I'll have to do a post about which things I do and do not do. I don't put on lace up shoes at this point in my life. Way to many little fingers to step on.