Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Green and Orange

Stir fry is such a beautiful dinner!!!

My mom used to make stir fry with those little packets of seasoning from the grocery store that were labeled, "Stir Fry." When I cleaned up my diet and no longer used packaged foods, I had no idea that all you needed to season stir fry was ground ginger and sea salt.

5/7 ths of the family likes stir fry. Tyler doesn't like the ginger and Tali doesn't seem to like the broccoli.

There's not much to my recipe but I know someone* will ask so I better post it.

I chop up all the veggies, whatever I have on hand, into similar sized strips and having them waiting in the colander, (e.i. Amanda's giant snack bowl.) Then I start the rice on the stove top. Finally, I cut the meat into strips, either chicken breast or beef, enough to cover the bottom of the pan and fry easily. Then I heat olive oil in the pan, add the meat and about a tablespoon of ground ginger and 1/2 tsp sea salt. I fry up the meat on high until it's browned than add the vegetables, as many as I can fit in the pan. Then I add about a half to a cup of water and a bit more ginger and sea salt on top of the vegetables and mix them together and cook until they are the desired tenderness.

Mike prefers his veggies a bit soft so everything gets cooked a bit longer. I often take out a portion and then let his cook longer. The rice is usually done about the same time as the veggies finish cooking. I know it's not "true" stir fry but my family likes it this way.

*Elisa

4 comments:

Myrtle's Turtles said...

I have always wandered what makes a good stir fry. It looks really yummy!

Kristi said...

Looks so yummy!! And the girls have gotten soooo big!

Anonymous said...

The dish looks yummy. Try 2 tablespoons of Oyster sauce instead of the salt. It makes a nice change

snekcip said...

Gotta try this!It looks great!!!