Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Christiana at One Year...

Christiana at one year old pulls herself to stand and walks with help. I occasionally try to get her to balance on her own and I've seen her do it once by herself. She can climb stairs and climb onto Amanda's little bed. She does have a little trouble with the dismount.


She says, "Mmmm, mmmm, mmmmm," the whole time I am feeding her. I still spoon feed her while she is sitting on my lap and then give her a bottle of about 4 oz of expressed breast milk. She has also learned to beg when we are eating and she is not.


She is a very tough, active little girl. She knows what she wants and goes for it. She reacts very loudly and physically if Amanda takes her toys but she laughs and plays along even when Amanda's being a bit rough. Thankfully, she has quit biting. She used to bite everything that got near her mouth. She would bite my hands when I was helping her walk, my back when she was in the wrap, and my legs when she was sitting below me on the floor. She would bite Amanda whenever she got too close and she would try bite Tali's hands when Tali was in the walker.


Christiana is doing so much better in the evening hours which makes preparing meals so much easier. She is still pretty stranger-shy but on occasion lets other people hold her. She says versions of "hi, mama, dada, all done, amen and achoo." She also kisses and says, "Shhhh."

When it's time for bed, she gets a little wild and starts thrashing, squirming, grabbing and pinching. No sweet before-bed snuggles for her. She has become very attached to the knitted blanket that she sleeps with. She is very happy to covered up with it at bedtime and often tries to bring it out of her bed when she wakes.
Christiana often crawls over when I am nursing Tali and wants to climb up in the chair with us. If I'm in the rocker, I can flip her up with the footrest. She thinks that's really funny and then snuggles next to Tali. She likes to lean her head toward you so you can kiss it or snuggle although sometimes it comes across as more of a head butt. She loves to be wrapped up and carried and often tries to wrap herself up in the wrap while I'm trying to wrap up Tali. I used to worry about her getting lost in the shuffle but she really seems to be getting better and letting us know she needs a bit more attention.

6 comments:

e&e said...

She is so darling...Joshy will love the pics!
elisa

snekcip said...

What a doll baby!! She is just precious!

Nan said...

So cute, I really need to have more baby, we plan to adoption someday.
Take care.
Nan

mama said...

she is absolutely beautiful.

Misty said...

Hello Mike and Katie-

I am not sure how I stumbled upon your family blog..but I did.

We are currently pursuing (actually waiting to be matched) an infant minority adoption here in Minnesota. Would you be willing to answer a few questions regarding you transracial adoptions?

We are simply looking to educate ourselves prior to placement. Here is a link to our family blog, momentswiththemckinleys.blogspot.com. Take a look, we are not a crazy couple.

We look forward to hearing back from you.

Blessings,
Misty

J said...

Christiana is so beautiful, love those eyes