Thursday, July 8, 2010

One Year Ago...Part One

We were anxiously waiting for a call from our adoption agency telling us that the woman in Florida who wanted to place her baby in our home had gone into labor. Tyler was already staying up north with my mom. Tony was going to be staying with our good friends and traveling with them to their cabin in Canada. Amanda was coming with us. I had a bag packed for the baby, Amanda and I. Everyday, I would check to see what flights were available throughout the day. At this point, we still considered this a maybe-baby and we believed there was a chance we may not go to Florida or we may come back from Florida without a baby.

Around 8 am, we received a call from our birth parent specialist, Annsley. The expectant mom had been feeling labor pains since around 6 am and Annsley was in her car outside the mother's home waiting to take her to the hospital. She said that I should wait to book flights until they were sure she would be admitted.

I was getting ready to go to an accupuncture appointment to help with the morning sickness. After calling Mike and checking flights. I dropped Amanda off at the neighbor's house and went to the appointment. Everyone at the office was so excited for us. Around 10 am, I was back at the neighbors picking up Amanda and explaining how to use some cloth diapers that I had brought over for my neighbor to try. Annsley called to say tell me to book our flights because the expectant mom had been admitted. She told me how how amazing this woman was. She had labored quietly all the way to the hospital but at one point Annsley looked over at her and a tear was rolling down her cheek. She also told me about how she gave to receptionist the death stare when she condescendingly asked, "Are you sure you're in labor?" The mom was already was already dialated to 5 cm.

I finished explaining to diapers, gathered up Amanda and headed back home. I knew the next available flight was a 2 pm, but there was no way we could get packed up and make that flight. It takes about 3 1/2 hours just to get to the airport. On most of the other days, there had been a late evening flight, too, but not on this day which meant we'd be leaving early Thursday morning. Mike was coaching Tony's baseball team so Mike was thankful that he would be able to make it to the Wednesday night game. I booked the 7:20 am flight, had lunch and laid down to take a nap.

After naps, our adoption worker called to tell us that a 6 lb 7 oz baby girl had been born at 1:19 pm EST(We're CST). It was about two hours after the mom checked into the hospital. Everything had gone fine. It was a completely natural delivery, no drugs. The mom refused any medication even Tylenol at the hospital. She was so anxious to sign the papers and move on that she didn't want them to tell her was unfit to sign the papers because she had been on narcotics. I think that is so amazing. What a trooper!

I finished packing things for the trip and prepared for an early bedtime. Actually, throughout my pregnancy, I went to bed as soon as I put Amanda to bed. Sometimes I laid down as soon as Mike got home from work. I had to get up several times during the night to take medicine and have a snack, though. But on this night, I would have to wake up at 2 am in order to leave for the airport by 3 am. I was not as anxious and nervous about the travel and adoption as I had been with Amanda. Part of that was because we had Amanda and had more confidence in the adoption process and part of that was because I was pretty focused on managing the nausea and didn't have much time to worry about the other stuff. Plus the medicine I was taking made me very sleepy which was good thing.


Scott, Joanna, Matthew said...

Wow! This last year went way to fast. Can't believe that Christiana is a year old already!

mama said...

What a beatiful story. Can't wait to read the rest.