Sunday, July 11, 2010

One Year Ago...Part Four

On Saturday, I made a trip to the grocery store and then Mike and Dave went to the airport to return the rental car. They were not very flexible about letting us keep the car additional days like the company we used in TX. We could use Dave's car if we needed to run to the store without the girls, but it was only a two-seater so we needed another plan for when it was time to leave. I also needed to get to a doctor's appointment before we could travel with Christiana. We would figure that out later.


The big excitement on Saturday was the huge Fight Night party that Dave had planned. It was planned long before he knew we would be there and we certainly didn't expect him to cancel on account of us. Now Dave's house is very unique in it's design. Two of the four bedrooms have large openings that allow light and noise into those bedrooms from the lower level. We moved Amanda's bed into the only upstairs room that was completely enclosed. It was Dave's computer room and I think the hum of the machines helped keep her asleep. The party was due to start at 9 pm so after having dinner with Dave's girlfriend and another friend, I headed off the try to sleep in Dave's room which was on the main level.



Shortly after people started to arrive they cranked up the Rock Band video game. It's like karaoke with instruments. It was so loud! I had ear plugs and a pillow over my head and it was still unbearable. It was disturbing Christiana and she was fussing on and off too. After an hour or two, it was time to feed Christiana again so I came out to nurse her. It's funny how it seemed less loud when I was out visiting with people instead of trying to sleep. Almost everybody was in one living room so I sat down in the other one. Pretty soon people ventured over to visit and see the baby. It was so funny to see the looks on their faces when they heard that she was three days old. I'm sure they were thinking, "You just had a baby three days ago and you brought her to a Fight Night party?!" Of course, I explained the story and got to share about adoption and adoptive nursing.

The good news was that the party only lasted until about midnight. Once the fight ended everyone went home and it was quiet again. I was so thankful to have survived the event. It's hard for me to remember now, but I was feeling so awful and coping hour by hour with the overwhelming nausea. I was so thankful for my fast acting Zofran, and my Unisom and Vitamin B6. I alternated taking them along with frequent protein-packed snacking.

Things get pretty boring at this point in the story. We were just hanging out waiting. Mike took care of Amanda's needs for the most part. I would try to take her out for a walk about once a day. It was so miserably hot but we had a pretty nice shady walk through the neighborhood. We saw so many lizards. They would scurry across the side walk, rustle in the bushes and shimmy up trees. I remember taking dried fruit to snack eat while I walked to manage the nausea. Sometimes Christiana would be tucked in the pouch and sometimes she would stay home with Mike. Mike had no desire to get out into the Florida heat and humidity. He preferred to stay inside the nice air-conditioned house in front of the jumbo-sized T.V. and kept in touch with his work on his lap top.

On the Tuesday that we were there, we had a bit of an adventure but I'll have to write about that another day.

2 comments:

Davene said...

It is so much fun to read this story. Wow! What a treasure this will be for Christiana to read when she gets older. I'm so glad you're jotting down all these details!

Anonymous said...

I just love reading about your amazing family, Katie. You're such a great mom. I'm in awe of you. Thank you so much for sharing!