Sunday, May 16, 2010

Overheard

Two little girls at the park. Maybe 6 years old.

Girl #1: "This is my neighbor, Amanda."

Amanda: "[chatter]"

Girl #2: "What did she say?"

Girl #1: "I don't know."

Girl #2: "Oh, she must be speaking Mexican. Is she Mexican?"

Girl #1: "I don't know. Lets ask her mother. Is she Mexican?"

Me: "No, she's Vientnamese and African American."

Girl #2: "Is she Mexican too?" while pointing to Christiana, perhaps she didn't hear my answer.

Me: "No, she's African American."

Both girls: "African American? Wow!"

Girl #2: "Is that baby the same color as you?" pointing to Talitha under the nursing blanket.

Me: "Yes, Amanda and Christiana were adopted and Talitha...um...ah...wasn't."

...grew in my tummy? ...is my biological child? ...I gave birth to Talitha?

I should have just stopped at "Yes," and answered any more questions if they came. That's okay. I'm sure the topic will come up again now that I'm actually leaving the house with all three little girls.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautifully handled. Well done.

e&e said...

That's hilarious that Tali is the one who it's awkward to explain where she came from. HA!
elisa

Kristi said...

I agree with anonymous!! You handled it great!!

Jamie said...

We like to say about Jesse and Jada, "They're half-sisters by birth, whole sisters by adoption and we pray that someday they'll be sisters in Christ." The lady at the checkout window at Wendy's asked me the other day, "Are you babysitting?" Smile.

La Familia Garcia said...

Oh your family is precious! I love stories like this and how you handled it so well! Just wait until you get that from adults! I'm so excited to have found your blog!

ali said...

good job! you did fine, we cant be prefectly PC every minute. people flip when i say my sons are "black" well.. hes not african american-hes haitian! he says "im black. thats what i am!" so.. hes black. and thats it.