Saturday, December 19, 2009

Wishing Illinois was closer. Again.

Today was the funeral for my dad in Illinois. I was not able to go because I have been getting lots of contractions and pelvic pain when I'm on my feet too long or too active. It's been really hard to not be there with my mom and siblings. Tony went with my mom.

My dad's family is a fun, wild crazy bunch and I'm sad to miss seeing them all together. It is a tradition that family members who are missing from important family events are represented but an inanimate object such as a pumpkin or balloon. I'm told our family is being represented by a family of moose. I hope some one took pictures for me.

After today's service, my dad will be cremated and brought back to Minnesota for a burial service on Wednesday in the town where we grew up and most of my family still lives. It's only an hour and half away so I will be able to go to the service.

I'm so thankful we are able bring him back to Minnesota. It really helps bring closure to the loss and wound that was opened 17 years ago when he divorced my mom and left. We have kept in contact, he's come to visit, we've visited him and he's always sent birthday cards and Christmas gifts, but we've missed him. It's been especially difficult when he's gotten sick and been hospitalized and we can't be with him.

It brings me peace to move forward and remember the good times and memories we made when we were all together and we were a family. That's how I want to remember him and how I want my kids to know him.

1 comment:

His Hands His Feet Today said...

I'm so sorry for your loss :( Your baby bump is SO cute! and I love your kid's photos!

Caught up :)
Love ya,
K