Tuesday, October 6, 2009

A Balanced Meal

Oats, eggs, cheese and cherries. You would consider that a balanced meal, right?
I was craving some cheese cake the other night but I can't eat store-bought because there is always wheat in the crust. So, I perused Cooks.com and found this simple recipe. I made a crust with ground oats, butter and sugar and baked one without a crust.
CRUSTLESS CHEESECAKE

1 lb. cream cheese
1/2 c. sugar
3 eggs
1/8 tsp. vanilla

TOPPING:


1/2 pt. sour cream

1 tsp. vanilla

3 tbsp. sugar


Cream the cream cheese. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each. Add sugar and vanilla and mix well. Pour batter into a 9-inch greased pie plate. Bake at 325 degrees for 40 minutes or until lightly browned. Let cool.


Combine topping ingredients and pour over pie to within 1/2 inch of edge of the plate. Allow topping to firm in refrigerator at least 4 hours (overnight is best).

I added cherry pie filling after they had chilled overnight. I sampled a piece of the crusty cake before going to bed and was a little disappointed because it wasn't quite the right texture. But by the time I got up with the baby again, it was perfect!

The crustless cake took less time to cook than the one with crust. Here it has been cooling and collapsed and the crusty one is right out of the oven and still puffed up.

Because my crust was so thick, I only put the sour cream topping on the crustless cake, but the flavor is much better with the topping. Vanilla yogurt would make a good topping, too.


The crustless cake is definitely quicker and easier to make but without the oats, I can't consider it a balanced meal. :)

I am still dealing with food aversions and the need to eat frequently so my silly rational is based on the fact that this was a food that I liked, was balanced with protein, fats and carbs, and only gave me a slight stomach ache. I'm going to enjoy it while I can because I plan to go dairy-free for nursing Christiana in February, but more on that later.

3 comments:

Laura said...

Yummmm those look SO good! I would totally call that a balanced meal! :) I hope you're feeling well. You should put up some new belly pics! :)

Lysana said...

Yum! Those look fantastic!

Amanda said...

Its looks AMAZING. I dont like cherries but the cheeries even look amazing. You may bring this to me whenever you want. hehe

Many blessings to you and your beautiful family!
Amanda