Sunday, May 17, 2009

Cultured Pancakes

Cultured Pancakes

2 cups whole wheat flour
2 cups yogurt, buttermilk or kefir

Soak flour and yogurt 6-8 hours. The live yogurt will help break down the whole wheat flour and release more nutrition. You can leave it on the counter or put it in the fridge.

2 Tbsp melted butter
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
2 eggs
Flavoring- vanilla, cinnamon, sugar, be creative

Mix the rest of the ingredients with the flour and yogurt and cook on a warm griddle. Thin the batter with left over butter milk. They take a little longer to cook then other pancakes. I make a large batch and freeze them for the boys. It's a great on-the-go snack for Amanda, too.I've been making these pancakes for years, but just began making them every week in order to avoid buying breakfast cereal. By avoiding breakfast cereal, we have improved nutrition, cut costs and reduced waste. All things that make me happy!

To break up the monotony, the boys experiment with different toppings; honeybutter, jelly, peanut butter, yogurt, syrup and the recently, butter, vanilla and powdered sugar frosting.



Amanda is finicky about her pancakes. She will eat three fresh pancakes off the griddle but she doesn't like them in her high chair. She will eat one or two pancakes in church but she doesn't like them at homeschool co-op. I just keep them handy and if she's hungry enough, she'll eat them!

2 comments:

Amy said...

Those look soooooo good. I will have to print that off and make it this weekend. I'm really tired of the pancakes I've been making from the box.
Good luck with your adoption. We were blessed in 2005 with our daughter.
Amy

momto9 said...

My youngest is like that! Sometimes she'll refuse a food but if I let her walk around with it (!!!!!) she'll eat!