Thursday, December 11, 2008

How do you get anything done?

Last Thursday, we had our home visit from our social worker. Many of her questions related to managing our family with the addition of a baby. The visit inspired this list.

Things I can do with a toddler:
Sort, load, wash, dry, fold and put away laundry.
Wash dishes, put away dishes, load dishwasher, unload dishwasher.
Gather veggies, wash, chop and put into the pot.
Prepare meals.
Make pancakes.
Weed the garden.
Sweep sidewalks, rake leaves, shovel snow outside.
Vacuum.
Sweep Floors.
Wash the floor, cupboards, stove, dishwasher, refridgerator.
Refill bean jars from the bulk bags.
Practice piano.
Teach Algebra, Chemistry, Vocbulary, and monitor Spanish.
Organize toys.
Clean the bathroom.

The key is to break the job into little parts so Amanda can participate- carrying a pot from the drying rack to the cupboard, taking potatoes out of the drawer, carrying the folded towels to the drawer. I either showed her hand-over-hand what she was to do or she just copied me. She has recently discovered how to stand nicely at the sink. She stands on a captain's chair and we put boat cushions behind her to keep her from falling backward. Some chores are done best with her wrapped on my back. I also use only mild cleaners and have trained her to obey.

My favorite part of working with Amada is when she leans over, wraps her arm around me, and says, "Awwww!" To which I always say, "Awww! I love you, too!" and give her a kiss.

There are some jobs that just can't be accomplished until she goes to bed:

Blogging.
Emailing.
Working on our profile.
Editing photos.
Math, Chemistry and vocabulary corrections.
Teaching Madsen Method.
Teach writing class.
Writing letters or paying bills.
Scrapbooking.
Sewing or any other craft.
Ironing clothes.


With a little planning and creativity, caring for a new baby will certainly fall into the first category. I can't really predict how Amanda will react, but as long as she can still be close to me and really participate in what I am doing, she will truly enjoy having a real little baby to love.

3 comments:

e&e said...

Hi Katie!

I like your blog's new look. So polished! And I LOVE the new photo of you and Mike. You both look so happy and at peace with each other. You've come a long way, baby!

Thanks for writing out that list. It's a helpful reminder for me with my little ones. Amanda is so blessed to have such a mama as you to teach her real life things. And soon enough she'll be up for scrapbooking and crafts. Yesterday when J and I were working on a craft for his math class, Mari happily glued (with a glue stick) scraps of paper onto other paper for over twenty minutes! And she only ate two bites of the glue!

I bet Amanda would love to help you mommy another baby. She'd be wonderful at it.

elisa

His Hands His Feet Today said...

Amen! If I can do it... YOU can do it!!!
I can't wait to follow on your journey :)
K

LucieP said...

Aw I love your stories...Amanda is beautiful!