Saturday, December 6, 2008

God Smiles

God smiles. You know, those little coincidences that happen along your journey that let you know God is with you.
----
For example:
----
Three family profiles shown to Amanda's birthmom and ours was on top.
Amanda's birthmom has a brother named Tony, loves animals and didn't feel she needed to look at any of the other profiles.
----
The day after emailing our social worker asking for news, she called to tell us that we had been chosen, that the baby was already born and that it was a girl!
----
We were scheduled for fingerprinting the following day.
----
We would be traveling to Texas and would be able to stay with my cousin who had just bought a house.
----
After learning that in Vietnamese culture that it was very important to name your baby something that has meaning, we discovered that Amanda meant "worthy to be loved." We had chosen Amanda years ago because it was my grandmother's name.
----
After receiving pictures of Amanda's birthmom, I marveled at how much she looked like my cousin, Elisa.
----
While we were disraught over the delays in Amanda being freed for adoption, we ended up being in Texas and paying our placement fees the day after the C.D. with our adoption savings matured.
----
Not only were we given a P.T. Cruiser for our rental vehicle, but it was lemon yellow which complimented the outifts Mike, Amanda and I were wearing. We felt a little silly climbing out of that car together at the cowboy bar and grill near the agency. (Mike always ends up with P.T. Cruisers for rental vehicles and they are not designed for tall men.)
----
We ended up staying in Texas at my cousin's during the ten days that he was in Minnesota for his sister's wedding. It was such a blessing to have the house to ourselves because babies keep crazy hours and I was trying to establish breastfeeding.
----
In our profile, we had written that children were a gift from God and our super, wonderful foster family has made us burp clothes that said, "God's Precious Gift" on them.
----
Amanda's wonderful foster family faithfully documented all the days we were away from Amanda and our first meeting. I completely forgot about picture-taking in the moment.
----
At placement while Mike and I were busy with the baby, Amanda's foster mom relayed a story that some one had asked her if she was potty training Amanda, who was only three weeks old. I didn't volunteer at the time that I planned to start elimination communication right away.
----
The sweet Minnesota friends who drove us to and from the airport provided us with a little sweater for Amanda since is was much colder in Minnesota than in Texas.
----
A couple of months after Amanda came home, the Texas agency sent us Amanda's hospital pictures. I never thought I'd see those.
----
Amanda's adoption was finalized on the same day as our neighbors who adopted about a month after us. Again, we had some one to take pictures for us!
----
But months before all of this, there was this sweet little Texas Longhorn outfit hanging in my mother's garage, a rummage sale leftover, that made me think, "Wouldn't that be something if our baby was from Texas."


Hook 'em Horns!

4 comments:

e&e said...

What a great story to read amidst my last few days of feverish and fitting children. I'm going to read it again and again.

I can't wait to see what "God smiles" happen with this next adoption!
elisa

Jamie said...

I love the way God works out the details! I'm praying for "eyes to see" as your family reads through the book of Judges!

melanie said...

Amanda is completely beautiful. What an amazing story! Blessings to your family.

Michelle said...

Wow Katie...I had heard some of your story but not all. To see it all in writing is amazing. God is good, huh?