Sunday, September 28, 2008

If anything be excellent...

Philippians 4:4-9

Rejoice in the Lord always. Again I say, rejoice! Let everyone see your gentleness. The Lord is near! Do not be anxious about anything. Instead, in every situation, through prayer and petition with thanksgiving, tell your requests to God. And the peace of God that surpasses all understanding will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus.

Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is worthy of respect, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if something is excellent or praiseworthy, think about these things. And what you learned and received and heard and saw in me, do these things. And the God of peace will be with you.

These are the words I read the day of my grandfather's funeral four years ago and the words we read together today in church. These were the words of God that my grandpa brought to life everyday that I knew him. Shortly before he died, he struggled to tell me that he felt bad for the times he was too hard on me. I assured him I forgave him even though I certainly don't remember.

Last year, my grandpa's heavenly birthday passed during that blissfully foggy time after Amanda came home. This year I'm enjoying remembering him in the changing fall leaves, picking up sticks, blooming mums and the words of Scripture. My heart aches, yet I am full of joy.

P.S. Amanda was good wrapped on my back while I played piano this morning. In fact, it's the quietest she's been in church. However, when Congregational Sharing began, she thought it was her turn to start talking. There were a lot of praises today and her sweet chatter was a wonderful addition.

1 comment:

citymomcountrymom said...

Glad you enjoyed the Mom Tip. I was wondering if there was anyone who cared? Loving the Not Me's! Thanks for stopping by! :)
Country Mom