Thursday, July 3, 2008

Work Day


Amanda had a busy day helping Mike and I with yard work. She started out helping Mike run the sprinklers on the new grass in the back yard.

Several meals and naps later, she ended the day by helping me spread the final load of black dirt in the front yard. She loves to be in her wrap. It hangs on a wreath hook on her door and whenever I take it down she clutches and nuzzles it. When I'm spreading it out on the bed, she is trying to jump out of my arms and once I lay her down she begins to wrap it around herself.Dirt poor? I don't think so! Isn't this beautiful? It looks a little like Oreo cookies crumbles.

We've lived in this house for 4 1/2 years and it's great to be finally getting a lawn! We had to order four loads of black dirt because there was nothing but sand. After our grass gets growing, the neighbors will do the patch on the right. We have to grow our lawns in patches, so the boys have somewhere to play while the seedlings are getting stonger.

2 comments:

Jamie said...

Wow! Spreading dirt while carrying 20 pounds strapped to your back! "A wife of noble character who can find? She sets about her work vigorously; her arms are strong for her tasks."

Rachel said...

Hi Katie! Your daughter is beautiful, btw!

I couldn't find an email address so I'm responding to your comment on my blog here on your blog. I hope that's okay. :)

You asked about my saying that taking the time to do a good job with my daughter's hair lets the AA community know that she is cared for. Basically, in the AA community, they look at a child's hair and skin as one way to determine if the child is being properly taken care of. If the hair and skin is moisturized and healthy (and the hair done neatly - doesn't have to be fancy) then they see that as a sign that the child is cherished and cared for. Overall we have had a very good reception from the black community about our adopting black children. But, I want to make sure that the people we know and those we run into while out around town know that I understand the need to take care of their hair and skin and that I value my children enough to do it.

There is definitely no rule that the hair has to be done a certain way and if your daughter's hair is the type that will work "down" then by all means do it! Lillian's is so coarse that if I leave it down it will be in tangles within an hour or so (and when I try to take out the tangles her hair will break) so different styles or extensions are our only options. It looks like Amanda's is much more fine and straight than Lillian's so you probably don't have to do the same things.

Let me know if you have other questions! Feel free to email me at manytimesblessed@gmail.com or comment on the blog again.

Blessings!

~Rachel