Saturday, April 5, 2008

Is your baby potty trained?

Yes, Amanda is potty trained. If I take her to the toilet, when she needs to go, she will go in the toilet. Some days I'm better at getting her there in time than others. She is also beginning to show that she has some bladder control, because sometimes when I take her, she gives a little shudder of relief. Yesterday, we went for a walk and ended up visiting at the neighbors. On the way back home, I remembered that she was undiapered. She was front facing in the wrap, so I spread the wrap out of the way and squatted by the side of the road. She didn't go, but stayed dry until we got home. It had been over 1/2 hour.

Dressing for EC'ing-

Before Amanda was crawling, she wore infant gowns at home. When she was awake I'd pull the elastic bottom up around her waist and tuck a cloth diaper into the elastic. At naps, I put her in a cloth diaper and waterproof cover. Once she started crawling, I began putting her in little cotton pants that were easy to pull down when I took her to the potty. I have three white cotton, long sleeve body suits that snap at the crotch that she wore under long sleeve shirts. (Onsies have too long of a tail) I left them unsnapped when she was diaper-free, but I snapped them at naps to keep her warm.

I have began taking her to the potty when we go out, too. I have experimented with cloth and a pull on cover, cloth and Velcro cover and disposables. I finally figured out a convenient system. I put her in a disposable diaper backwards! That way I can pull her pants down to her knees, unfasten the diaper, flip is towards her feet and let her go. Then I lay her over my knee and refasten the diaper and pull up her pants. Today was the first day we tried the new system because she was at a sitter's house. It worked well. It was also the first time that she went potty for somebody else. She went potty twice for the sitter in the 3 1/2 hours she was there.

By the way, I had a great time out by myself. I had gift cards to use and bought some pretty new things for me and the baby. Usually when I go out by myself, it's just for groceries.

3 comments:

e&e said...

I"m still confused as to why backwards with the diaper. Can you explain? (or email)
elisa

Mike and Katie said...

I don't need to take her diaper completely off in order to let her go potty, just flip it forward away from her bottom. It's challenging to find a place to lay her down to refasten the diaper after using the toilet. It is very easy to lay her over my lap and refasten it if the front is in the back.

e&e said...

So you lay her down on her tunny across your lap? Sorry I seem to be having such problems comprehending this. If I see you sometime soon, show me.
elisa