Friday, September 28, 2007

Baby Amanda


Amanda Marie was born in the beginning of August in Abilene, Tx. She was 6 lbs. 5 oz. and 18 1/2 inches long. She was very healthy and just perfect. She was in foster care for three weeks while the paperwork cleared before we were able to meet her. Her birthmother is Vietnamese and her birth father is African American. Her birthmom lives with her parents and they felt they couldn't care for this new baby.

We met Amanda's birthmom at the end of August at the adoption agency. She was very shy and sweet. We were told she chose us because we did a lot of activities with animals and because we had a son named Tony. Amanda's birthmom also has a brother named Tony. She had a photo album and gifts for the baby. We shared some family photos with her, too. I was really nervous. It's been along time since I had really felt those nervous butterflies in my stomach. Here I was, at the most important job interview of my life, and I hadn't slept well in three days!

After meeting the birthmom, we waited while she said goodbye to the baby. I was so nervous that I thought I would have to tell them we needed to do this another day because I was just too sick! Thankfully, I didn't and as soon as the foster mom brought Amanda into the room, I was completely distracted.

The foster family was so wonderful, they also had a book full of pictures from the days she was in their care and they had gifts for her as well. They helped us get to know Amanda and even helped us with the car seat in the car. They were so encouraging and supportive. It meant so much to me.

Then Mike, I and Amanda went back to the hotel, climbed into the big king-size bed and took a three hour nap together. That was the best sleep I had had in two weeks.


No comments: